Sex addiction can refer to a range of behaviors that are done in excess and significantly
impact one’s life in a negative way. Sexual addiction is defined as any sexually-related compulsive behavior which interferes with normal living and causes severe stress on family, friends, loved ones, and one’s work environment. Like an alcoholic unable to stop drinking, sexual addicts are unable to stop their self-destructive sexual behavior.
Warning Signs of Sexual Addiction
Sex addicts have varying patterns which can result in very different ways of acting out. Below are some general warning signs of sex addiction:
Eden Rehab Centre unpacks secretive or Dangerous behaviours of sexual behaviour
- Lying about or hiding sexual activities
- Having sex regardless of the consequences (e.g., the threat of being caught or facing financial problems, or the risk of contracting a sexually transmitted disease)
- Engaging in the practice of voyeurism or exhibitionism in ways that bring discomfort, pain or legal problems
- Legal or career problems due to sexual behaviors
Uncontrollable, Compulsive Sexual Behaviors or Thoughts
- Unsuccessfully trying to stop troublesome sexual behavior on your own
- Feeling that life is unmanageable because of compulsive sexual thoughts or behaviors
- Feeling you could do more with your life if you were not so driven by sexual pursuits
- Inability to concentrate on other areas of life because of thoughts or feelings about sex
- Obsessing about a specific sexual act even though these thoughts bring pain, cravings or discomfort
- Wishing you could stop or control sexual activities for a given period of time
- Losing count of your number of sexual partners
What Are the Different Types of Sexual Addictions?
There are no distinct categories, but sexual addictions can come in different forms, including addiction to:
- Masturbation or fantasy.
- Sadistic or masochistic behavior.
- Other excessive sexual pursuits.
Get help for sex addiction
It is important to understand that although sex and porn addiction are not “formally” diagnosable, these conditions exist and often present with very adverse consequences and high levels of distress, guilt, and emotional turmoil.
If you can relate to the symptoms mentioned above, or know somebody who meets this criteria, do not hesitate to contact Eden Recovery Centre. You can depend on full discretion.